The first formal meeting of the Buffalo Association for the Blind was held. Mr. Carlton Sprague was elected president.
A broom factory employing blind workers was opened at 489 Ellicott Street. A horse and wagon aided in marketing and distribution efforts.
A Certificate of Incorporation for the agency was issued, stating in part its objective "to improve the condition of the blind within the County of Erie."
The Wishbone Club, the agency's first social club, was formed to promote social life among its membership of blind women.
Rug weaving, chair caning and basketmaking were added to workshop activities.
The agency worked with the New York State Commission for the Blind in providing home visits to blind community members. In one year alone, nearly 1,400 home calls were made for the purposes of tutoring, sick calls and friendly visitation.
To fuel fundraising efforts, the agency joined with eight other social agencies in the city to form the "Federation of Charities and Social Agencies for Financial and Other Purposes," which ultimately became the United Way of Buffalo and Erie County.
Rapid growth necessitated the relocation of the agency's headquarters to the old Lutheran Church at Michigan and Goodell Streets. The property included five small apartments that were rented to blind tenants.
Edna Stainton was hired as the first executive secretary to coordinate the increasing activities of the agency's various departments.
Dr. Conrad Wettlaufer, Board President, donated the necessary funds to remodel agency headquarters to house the Buffalo Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic, also known as the Wettlaufer Clinic.
As part of the WPA, the agency became a distributor of Talking Book Machines. Manufactured under the aegis of the Library of Congress, the machines read pre-recorded books and magazines.
The agency's first news and cigar stand, operated by blind vendor Anthony Obstarczyk, opened on the first floor of the Erie County Office Building.
A telegram from Helen Keller recognized the agency's 30th anniversary, commending the organization's "pioneer work in broadening the field of opportunity for sightless people."
May 1946 The Board of Directors voted to purchase the property at 864 Delaware Avenue to better accommodate the growing organization. September 1946 The agency's first preschool, the Michael Nursery School, was opened to help prepare blind children for mainstream schooling. June 1949 The first client to the agency's newly established "Testing and Rehabilitation Center" was accepted, receiving training in skills of daily living and household carpentry. December 1949 The Lighthouse Unit, a women's service guild, was organized. Sixty women signed up to begin the tradition of volunteerism and fundraising that lasted until the group's disbandment in 1999. January 1953 Sub-contract work stitching cardboard cartons for the Iroquois Brewing Co. was secured in the workshop. Soon after, broom production was phased out as more sub-contract jobs were accepted. January 1957 The agency became a member of Industries for the Blind of New York State, an organization that secures orders from state institutions for workshops for the blind throughout New York State.
The Board of Directors voted to purchase the property at 864 Delaware Avenue to better accommodate the growing organization.
The agency's first preschool, the Michael Nursery School, was opened to help prepare blind children for mainstream schooling.
The first client to the agency's newly established "Testing and Rehabilitation Center" was accepted, receiving training in skills of daily living and household carpentry.
The Lighthouse Unit, a women's service guild, was organized. Sixty women signed up to begin the tradition of volunteerism and fundraising that lasted until the group's disbandment in 1999.
Sub-contract work stitching cardboard cartons for the Iroquois Brewing Co. was secured in the workshop. Soon after, broom production was phased out as more sub-contract jobs were accepted.
The agency became a member of Industries for the Blind of New York State, an organization that secures orders from state institutions for workshops for the blind throughout New York State.
Renovations began on the agency's current building at 1170 Main Street due to an urgent need for more space.
The agency initiated an Orientation and Mobility program, including training in the use of the white cane.
A new rehabilitation center replaced the phased out testing and rehabilitation center. This new and improved program included counseling and training in self-care, home-making, and communication techniques, as well as vocational evaluation.
The agency became an affiliate of National Industries for the Blind, a workshop development organization.
An open house was held to announce the agency's new name: the Blind Association of Western New York. The name reflected the agency's widened scope of services for individuals throughout the eight western counties of New York State.
The agency acquired its first closed circuit television visual aid, the Visualtek, which enabled people with some functional vision to read books and other written materials.
The Low Vision Clinic opened, providing people with impaired sight with specialized optometric exams and prescriptions.
The Skills of Daily Living apartment was opened, featuring a living room, bathroom, laundry area and kitchen where clients could train in performing day-to-day activities.
The Technical Advisory Committee developed the first-ever Braille desk calendar, filling a strong need expressed by blind professional workers.
The Visually Impaired Preschool (VIP), a home-based program for infants and pre-schoolers up to age five, was initiated.
The first Ride in Plain Sight bike tour was held, an annual fundraiser that featured tandem bicycles ridden by visually impaired cyclists with sighted partners. In 1988, a stationary bike corporate challenge was added to the event.
The agency developed its first long range plan, intended to serve as a proactive guide to meeting changing trends and future challenges.
Senior Vision Services was started, a program serving Erie County senior citizens who, while not legally blind, are experiencing diminishing sight.
GuildCare, an adult day health care program, is opened as a joint initiative with the Jewish Guild for the Blind. A second GuildCare program was established in Niagara Falls in 1996.
The agency opened its first apartment building, Excelsior Manor, in the city's Lovejoy area. This project, like the many similar projects to follow, provided affordable, specially designed housing for visually impaired or physically disabled tenants.
The agency began overseeing switchboard operations at the Buffalo Veterans Administration Medical Center, employing a full staff of blind and visually impaired operators.
GuildCare Niagara Falls, an adult day health care program, is opened as a joint initiative with the Jewish Guild for the Blind. Guildcare Buffalo was opened in September 1992.
A $5.2 million capital campaign to renovate the agency’s headquarters was launched.
A grand opening celebration was held for Gratwick Manor, the second housing project for visually impaired or physically disabled tenants.
The National Statler Center for Careers in Hospitality Service, a program that prepares visually impaired or physically handicapped individuals for careers in the hospitality industry, was kicked off with a visit from New York State Governor George Pataki.
The National Statler Center for Careers in Hospitality Service conducted its first class with students.
Austin Manor, the agency's third housing project, opened its doors to visually impaired or physically disabled tenants.
The agency changed its name to the Elizabeth Pierce Olmsted, M.D. Center for the Visually Impaired.
A grand opening celebration was held to show off the completed renovations. New features include an education center/auditorium, an expanded vision rehabilitation clinic, a resource library and an atrium.
Olmsted Center adopted the theme line "Where Challenges Meet Solutions".
Olmsted Center's manufacturing division supplied all the U.S. Flags at the opening game at Yankee Stadium following the tragedy on September 11, 2001. This was the largest distribution of flags in New York State.
The manufacturing division at Olmsted Center secured its first federal contract with the Department of Defense for flight jerseys for the Navy.
Elizabeth Harvey Apartments in the North Tonawanda, the agency's fourth housing project, opened its doors to visually impaired and physically disabled tenants.
The agency began overseeing switchboard operations at the Erie Veterans Administration Medical Center in Erie, Pennsylvania, employing a full staff of blind and visually impaired operators.
Statler Center accepts its first international student from Canada.
Construction is completed on the Haskell Stovroff Apartments in Cheektowaga, New York. This is the agency's fifth housing project to open it doors to visually impaired and physically disabled tenants.
Construction begins on the Ira G. Ross Eye Institute. The Ross Eye Institute is a unique and nationally innovative collaboration among the Department of Ophthalmology of the University at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Olmsted Center for the Visually Impaired, and University Ophthalmology Services. Envisioned as the premier research, ophthalmologic education and subspecialty eye care program in Western New York, this Institute will include a nationally unique state-of-art, university and human services linked campus that will provide a continuum of integrated prevention, treatment and rehabilitation services to individuals of all ages in need of holistic vision care; as well as, new research facilities at the medical school.
Olmsted Center brings property management of all five of its properties in-house.
Statler Center hosted its first class outside of Buffalo, New York. The Blind Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, became home to Statler Center for 10 weeks and became the 23rd graduating class since its inception in 1999.
After gaining approval in June 2006 from the New York State Public Health Council to open a subsidiary Article 28 Diagnostic and Treatment Center, the Paul T. Bulger Vision Rehabilitation Clinic opened its doors. This new holistic medical center will be housed within Olmsted Center within the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus and adjacent to the future Ross Eye Institute. The Bulger Vision Clinic will provide the services of a physiatrist, nurse practitioner and occupational therapist in addition to the optometric, rehabilitation teaching, social work and orientation and mobility instruction previously offered. Treatment will address not only vision loss, but other physical, cognitive and emotional issues which may relate to visual impairment.
Statler Center was awarded $457,000 from the Lavelle Fund for the Blind, Inc. This money will allow Statler Center to train and work with disabled people more strategically in career development. In this model, job placement will actually be “front-loaded” through the development of corporate relationships with businesses that have shown commitment to hiring the disabled, have positions available, and are willing to partner in advance with Statler Center for training and job placement.
The Olmsted Institute of Business and Technology is established.